The select committee will hold public hearings and be required to provide an interim status report to the House Administration and Rules committees every 90 days. The committee will not have legislative authority and will formally terminate on February 1, 2020.
- The select committee held an organizational meeting on March 12, 2019, where members voted unanimously to approve the committee’s operating rules. The organizational meeting was followed by a member day hearing. Witness testimony from the member day hearing can be found here.
- On March 27, 2019, the Select Committee held a public hearing entitled, “Congressional Reforms of the Past and Their Effect on Today’s Congress.” The video link to the hearing is here.
- On May 1, the Select Committee will hold a public hearing entitled, “Former Members Day Hearing: Speaking from Experience.”
- On May 10, the Select Committee held a public hearing entitled, “Opening Up the Process: Recommendations for Making Legislative Information More Transparent.”
- On May 23, the Select Committee held a public business meeting to consider five transparency recommendations to open up Congress.